Ok, we know there’s a day for everything out there. This one I must say is my absolute favorite. Enjoy the read, it’s informative and relevant to those of us who find fashion of interest, or as in my case a passion!
We celebrate Fashion Day on July 9 every year. The day is important as it gives everyone the opportunity to put their fashionable side on display and let the world see their unique aesthetic sense, be it through their clothes or accessories. Fashion is an integral part of American society since so many culturally diverse communities live and thrive in this country where every individual has a unique way of expressing their fashion sense.
HISTORY OF FASHION DAY
The first-ever Fashion Day was celebrated in 2016, which makes this holiday a relatively recent one on the American cultural calendar. It appears that Fashion Day might have emerged as a popular day through social media or the efforts of an unidentifiable group with a zeal to celebrate everyday fashion choices made by Americans across the country. Whatever the origins of the day, Fashion Day appears to have gained a lot of traction since its creation in 2016.
Fashion Day is an interesting occasion and can be seen as a kind of public revolt against the dominant fashion trends and styles that are set by major fashion houses and corporations across the country. It is for this reason that the day is seen as a popular event for LGBTQ groups and people all over the country as it gives them the opportunity to assert their fashion choices and tastes without any fear of criticism.
For many people, especially those who aspire to join the fashion industry, Fashion Day is a great time to dive into the world of fashion and experience how different individuals perceive fashion and choose to express their fashion sense through the clothes and makeup they wear on this day.
FASHION DAY TIMELINE
1850s Mass Production of ApparelMass production technology is used to produce clothes.
1920 Birth of the New York Garment District New York becomes the hub of fashion in the U.S.
The 1980s The emergence of celebrity designers American labels including Calvin Klein begin to shape the fashion industry
FASHION DAY FAQS
What day is National Fashion Day?
July 9 is National Fashion Day.
What is fashion?
Fashion is a form of self-expression and autonomy at a particular period and place and in a specific context, of clothing, footwear, lifestyle, accessories, makeup, hairstyle, and body posture. In its everyday use, the term implies a look defined by the fashion industry as that which is trending.
Who invented fashion?
Charles Frederick Worth is believed to be the first fashion designer of the world, from 1826 to 1895.
HOW TO CELEBRATE FASHION DAY
- Subscribe to a fashion magazineFashion magazines are a treasure trove of ideas and information that you can use to increase your awareness about fashion trends, in general, and the overall fashion industry. You can read informative articles, interviews, and news related to various brands. You can even study the photoshoots to get inspiration about the colors, cuts, and latest styling trends that are shaping the fashion industry. There are so many magazines to choose from and you can get started by subscribing to any one of them.
- Style your wardrobeFashion Day is the perfect time for you to redefine your wardrobe style according to your own choices and preferences. Take out all your clothes and decide which items match your personality, body type, lifestyle, and the latest trends. Make a list of things such as accessories and jewelry that you think would enhance your overall look and reflect your fashion sense more accurately. A simple way of doing this is to browse through many online fashion stores and see what is on sale. Start small by going for the less expensive options and keep adding to your wardrobe.
- Explore an ethnic styleYou probably have a friend or know someone from a different cultural background. Speak to them or, even better, visit their homes to learn about their culture and how they express it through their clothes, makeup, jewelry, and hairstyles. Every community develops its fashion sense according to its history, religion, culture, and climate. This is a nice way of showing your respect for other cultures and learning what fashion styles are important to them.
5 FACTS ABOUT THE FASHION INDUSTRY THAT WILL BLOW YOUR MIND
- Louis Vuitton burns unsold productsLouis Vuitton burns unsold items to maintain the brand’s exclusivity.
- Michael Kors’ first designMichael Kors’ first design was a wedding dress for his mother.
- The richest fashion designerThe CEO of LVMH, Bernard Arnault, has a net worth of $193 billion.
- Top fashion brandsThe biggest fashion brands in the world include Nike, Gucci, and Adidas.
- Richest fashion modelNaomi Campbell has a net worth of $80 million.
WHY WE LOVE FASHION DAY
- It encourages us to be uniqueFashion Day gives us the opportunity to express our unique ways of dressing and accessorizing without fear of criticism or judgment. It is a day when we recognize that every person has a different fashion sense and deserves to be celebrated for it, regardless of their gender, age, or ethnic background.
- It develops our aestheticsFashion is all about creating and exploring beauty, whether it is through clothes or any other fashion accessory. Fashion Day lets us explore our own aesthetics and decide what colors, fabrics, and styles suit our body and skin type. In the end, it makes us all look and feel comfortable with what we choose to wear.
- It is a lot of funFashion Day is all about doing something a bit out of the ordinary and experimenting with something new and different. The process of stepping out of one’s comfort zone can be scary and fun at the same time. Fashion Day lets us enjoy some moments of fun as we try to learn which fashion styles suit us better than others.