International Essential Oils Day is celebrated n July 11 every year. For 25 years, at least, people have increased their usage of essential oils. People use it by topical application on the skin or through other methods. The variety of strains and extraction from various plants result in different levels of purity and color as well. This aromatic day recognizes the benefits of essential oils for humanity. Essential oils cannot be patented either.
HISTORY OF INTERNATIONAL ESSENTIAL OILS DAY
International Essential Oils Day (IEOD) was created in 2018 when Jared Turner, the president, and COO of Young Living had an idea to celebrate essential oils on July 11, which is the birthday of Young Living’s founder, D. Gary Young. He wanted to celebrate it in a way that honors Gary’s life work and also gives back to the Young Living Foundation.
Now, IEOD is a platform to raise awareness about sustainability processes and Young Living’s Seed to Seal quality commitment towards environmental protection. Young Living ensures the highest quality standards for its essential oil products. People are encouraged to use the official hashtag of this day, #IEOD, when posting on social media.
This holiday also aims to help oil enthusiasts across the globe share the power of essential oils. Aromatic plants had been discovered thousands of years ago and have been used for cosmetic, spiritual, and emotional purposes. However, essential oils have only been available since the invention of the distillation process of extraction in about 3000 BC. Essential oils are highly concentrated plant extracts prepared through steam distillation out of the plant material. They are also made with the mechanical pressing of the peels of citrus fruits. The oils are the essence of the plant components. The final essential oils can vary in color and odor and they help the body balance its natural function by working with its healing systems.
Over the years, essential oils have gained worldwide recognition for their versatility and the role they play in enhancing the overall quality of life.
INTERNATIONAL ESSENTIAL OILS DAY TIMELINE
1772Tea Tree Oil
Captain James Cook mentions tea tree oil during his voyage to Botany Bay, Australia.1800sEssential Oils are Catalogued
Doctors catalog 22 essential oils widely used for internal purposes in the “Materia Medica.”20th CenturyAromatherapy
The term ‘aromatherapy’ is first used.2018Young Living’s Donation
The creators of Essential Oils Day, Young Living, donate 5% of all company sales to the Young Living Academy in Chongon, Ecuador.
INTERNATIONAL ESSENTIAL OILS DAY FAQS
What are the 5 essential oils?
The 5 must-have essential oils for aromatherapy are lavender, rosemary, peppermint, frankincense, and sweet orange.
What is the most relaxing essential oil?
Lavender essential oil is touted for the calming effects it has on the mind and body thus helps to reduce anxiety.
Which essential oil is good for sleep?
Some of the best sleep-inducing essential oils are lavender, chamomile, sandalwood. You can use them by using a carrier to rub some oil on your body parts such as the wrist, neck, forehead, hands, or feet. You can even light some aromatherapy candles or put the oils in an air diffuser.
HOW TO OBSERVE INTERNATIONAL ESSENTIAL OILS DAY
- Share your experience with essential oilsHave you been using essential oils for a while? This day is perfect for you to share your experience with them and inspire others to incorporate them into their lives for overall wellness. You can guide them on how to use the essential oils for maximum benefit.
- Try a new essential oilThere are so many new essential oils out there in the market with new ones being developed. Try out a new essential oil on this day and add it to your collection. If you’ve never tried them, International Essential Oils Day is the perfect time to start.
- Plant a tree to preserve the environment. People are encouraged to plant trees or any botanicals on this day to preserve the environment. You can start your garnering journey by planting seeds in your home and do your bit in the making of a greener future.
5 AROMATIC FACTS ABOUT ESSENTIAL OILS
- Several fragrances Essential oils come in multiple fragrances such as peppermint, cedarwood, lavender, lemon, and more.
- Aromatic experienceThese days, essential oils are commonly used in diffusers to create an aromatic experience in a closed room.
- Improves air quality Essential oils, when diffused in a room through candles or diffusers, can help to increase the atmospheric oxygen in a room.
- Plants produce itQuite surprisingly, only less than 1% of the entire plant species population can produce essential oils.
- They’re not necessarily oilsEssential oils may not necessarily be oils as they’re also extracted nutrients from a plant.
WHY INTERNATIONAL ESSENTIAL OILS DAY IS IMPORTANT
- Several health benefits Essential oils come with a range of health benefits depending on the oil. These can aid in digestion and menstrual cycles, relieving stress, alleviating nausea, boosting immunity, soothing headaches, and improving the skin.
- Meticulous preparationEssential oils are concentrated plant extracts. They are prepared with a process called steam distillation and it must be ensured that the plants are not treated with pesticides. The amount of meticulousness that goes into making these oils is commendable.
- They are organic and pureWe often tend to use products in our daily lives that are infused with chemicals. We may not realize it but they could have negative effects in the long run. Essential oils are prepared without the usage of chemicals, which makes them organic, pure, and safe to use. However, one must check the usage of essential oils around plants and animals.